A new interactive policy-making tool: the Spatial Conflict Dynamics indicator (SCDi).
- the EU's international role | international cooperation
- InfoPoint and Webex Meetings
- English, French
- International Partnerships InfoPoint
The new 2023 SWAC/OECD report maps the rural-urban geography of conflict in North and West Africa since the late 1990 using a new interactive policy-making tool: the Spatial Conflict Dynamics indicator (SCDi). In a context of rapid urbanisation and unprecedented levels of violence, this report is particularly timely. It examines whether urbanisation has led to increased violence in cities or whether conflicts stay predominantly rural. The report fills a knowledge gap for policy makers: understanding where violence emerges, spreads and eventually dissipates is key to addressing its root causes. The report lays out a solid foundation for policy makers, experts and researchers to develop a more contextualised and spatialised approach to security and development.
- Maria Pilar Palmero Vaquero, Head of Unit A3- Western Africa
- Laurent Bossard, Director, Sahel and West Africa Club
- Marie Tremolieres, Head of Unit, Sahel and West Africa Club
Language of conference: French/English
Language of Q&A session: French/English