This event will spotlight the amazing potential of data to maximise the resource efficiency and impact of development assistance. It will be a rallying cry for actors interested in effective development to prioritise investment in data.
- the EU's international role | international cooperation
- InfoPoint and Webex Meetings
- International Partnerships InfoPoint
These speakers from across government, civil society and the private sector are coming together to champion the need for better, cross-sectoral data to drive more sustainable and efficient development. It is a hugely untapped potential for governments and donors - as evidenced by an investment case commissioned by the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data, investments in strengthening data systems can offer a rate of return of $32 of economic benefits for $1 invested.
In a year which marks the halfway point towards the 2030 Agenda and the achievement of theSustainable Development Goals (SDGs), we currently do not have the data to fully assess the progress that has been made towards them. Across the 17 SDGs, there are only six goals for which more than two thirds of countries have data to report, and timely data that are less than 5years old exists for only 5 goals. Only 1 in 6 countries have sufficient data to report on SDG 13: Climate Action. Good governance relies on good data, and at present an estimated 230 million children worldwide are unregistered, and 6 in 10 of the world’s deaths are unregistered.Only by scaling up support for countries’ data systems can we ensure fully-informed decision-making.
Join us to hear about how data can revolutionise the efficiency and effectiveness of development assistance and strengthen international partnerships.
- Dr Claire Melamed, CEO of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
- Ambassador Bitange Ndemo, Kenya’s Ambassador to Belgium and EU
- Ben Crampton, Director of Government Affairs at Microsoft
- Arianna Vannini, Principal Advisor-INTPA Chief Economist
- Emily Wigens, The ONE Campaign EU Office Director
- Franco Conzato, Senior Expert, Directorate for Sustainable Development Policy and Coordinator, DG INTPA
Q&A session languages: English