The Intra-ACP Climate Services and related applications programme is a EUR 85 M initiative of the Organisation of the African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OACPS) funded by the European Union to strengthen the climate services value chain: from access to information, generation and provision of climate services to engagement and capacity of users to ensure utilisation of these services.
For that purpose, the intervention aim is to provide, among others, technical support, capacity building, institution strengthening and, awareness, for 8 Regional Climate Centres in the 3 ACP regions.
As main users of climate services and the bridge to other final users, the African Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the African Union Commission (AUC), the Caribbean Meteorological Organisation (CMO), and the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP), will be the focus of the action to ensure sustainability of the utilisation of climate services.
Goals and objectives of ClimSa programme
The goal of the programme is to contribute to strengthen production, availability, delivery and application of science-based climate prediction and services.
Improved quality and quantity of regional climate prediction and services offered by ACP regional climate centres (RCCs) and national hydro-meteorological organisations (NMHSs) for 5 climate-sensitive sectors:
- Agriculture and food security
- Disaster risk reduction
- Interaction between the users, researchers and climate services providers in ACP regions is structured
- Provision of climate services at Regional and National level is effectively guaranteed and secured
- Access to Climate Information is improved
- Capacity of ACP regions is enhanced to generate and apply climate information and products relevant to their particular concerns
- Climate-informed decision-making is enhanced and climate services are mainstreamed into policy processes at regional and national levels.
WMO - UN World Meteorological Organisation, JRC - European Commission Joint Research Centre, EUMETSAT - European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
- Hankkeen kesto
- Hankkeen toteutuspaikat
- €85 000 000
- EU:n osuus
- €85 000 000100% of the overall budget