Joining Forces is an alliance of the six largest international child rights organisations. Its members are: ChildFund Alliance, Plan International, Save the Children International, SOS-Children’s Villages International, Terre des Hommes International Federation and World Vision International. The alliance was founded in 2017 and currently focuses on two initiatives: promoting children's rights and ending violence against children. It conveys these values through direct exchange with local governments. “Joining Forces for Africa - Protecting children from violence during the Covid-19 crisis and beyond” (JOFA) is the first joint project of the alliance.
The European Union has awarded a €10 million grant to address major child protection issues arising from and exacerbated by COVID-19 in five countries (Senegal, Mali, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda) across three years (August 2020-2023). These countries have been selected because of their high risk of negative impact from the pandemic and the resulting need for child protection on the ground. The children participating in the project live in refugee camps, urban slums or border areas. Around 718,000 children are expected to benefit from the project.
Specific measures include:
- Promoting and developing child helplines to allow girls and boys to confidentially report incidents of sexual violence.
- Conducting trainings in children's and youth clubs: girls and boys learn about their rights so that they can claim and advocate for their rights in their families and communities.
- Supporting parents to manage stress, build skills for positive parenting and support each other during difficult times
- Producing and distributing information material for families and children on child protection to raise awareness in communities.
In addition to the 718,000 children who will benefit from the JOFA project, 3,000 staff from local child protection institutions and 23,000 parents and caregivers will be involved in the implementation of the project. The project brings together the expertise of all six Joining Forces agencies, ensuring we are providing the best solutions available to these complex challenges.
ChildFund Alliance, Plan International, Save the Children International, SOS-Children’s Villages International, Terre des Hommes International Federation and World Vision International
- Project duration
- Project locations
- Overall budget
- €10 000 000
- EU contribution
- €10 000 000100% of the overall budget