On 14-15 December, civil society representatives and human rights defenders from conflict and crisis areas around the world will meet in Brussels to discuss the challenges they face, together with Commissioner for International Partnerships, Jutta Urpilainen; the EU Special Representative for Human Rights; High Representative for Foreign Affairs, Josep Borrell; UN experts; International Criminal Court representatives; Human Rights and Democracy Network members; and national authorities.
You can join the live stream for selected sessions of this in-person event. No registration is required for the live streams - the website will include a feed on the days of the event.
- human rights | civil society | the EU's international role | international cooperation
- Online only
- 14 Dec 2022,
09:00 AM - 11:00 AM CETOpening speech by Josep Borrell, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy / Vice-President of the Commission
Followed by a plenary session, moderated by Florence Ranson, independent journalist.
- Eamon Gilmore, EU Special Representative for Human Rights
- Karim Khan KC, Prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (remote)
- Oscar Parra-Vera, Justice at the Special Jurisdiction for Peace, Colombia
- Shaharzad Akbar, Executive Director at Rawadari, Afghanistan
- Tetiana Pechonchyk, Head of Board at ZMINA Human Rights Centre, Ukraine
- 05:30 PM - 06:00 PM CETDebrief of the day and closing remarks by Jutta Urpilainen, European Union Commissioner for International Partnerships
- 15 Dec 2022,
09:00 AM - 09:30 AM CETKeynote speech by Eamon Gilmore, EU Special Representative for Human Rights
- 09:30 AM - 10:30 AM CETModerated plenary session “The role of civil society and human rights defenders in fighting impunity”
Moderatored by Florence Ranson, independent journalist.
- Nada Al-Nashif, United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Chiara Adamo, Director Human Development Governance & Peace - Directorate-General for International Partnerships, European Commission
- Aleksandr Cherkasov, Member of Council at Memorial Human Rights Defence Centre, Russia
- Drissa Traore, Secrétaire général FIDH/ Président d'honneur MIDH, Côte d'Ivoire
- Khaled Quzmar, General Director at Defence for Children International, Palestine
The forum is organised by the European Commission and the European External Action Service, in partnership with the Human Rights and Democracy Network (HRDN) of Brussels-based NGOs. The theme of the EU-NGO Forum on Human Rights 2022 is “The road to accountability and justice – Human Rights in Crisis and Conflict”.
During the plenary and breakout sessions, the following themes will be discussed
- preventing impunity – ensuring accountability and justice
- civil society actors in crisis and conflict situations
- international accountability mechanisms
The aim of the forum is to develop recommendations for practical support and justice for victims, and accountability and prevention of crimes for use in EU policies and programming. The forum will conclude with action-oriented suggestions and recommendations, emphasising practical ways for the EU, Member States and civil society to adapt and improve policies and practices.