The European Union has disbursed EUR 5 million (551 contos in national currency) in budget support to the National Treasury of Cabo Verde, supporting the country’s fight against COVID-19.
The disbursement was carried out this week, following a public presentation of the disbursement on 17 April, attended by the EU Ambassador in Cabo Verde, Mrs. Sofia Moreira de Sousa and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance of Cabo Verde, Dr. Olavo Correia.
The disbursement is aimed at supporting the efforts of the Government of Cabo Verde to protect the most vulnerable social groups affected by COVID-19, namely through the following national measures:
- Social inclusion income for families identified as living in extreme poverty;
- Implementing a Solidarity Income Scheme to benefit workers under the REMPE scheme for micro and small-sized companies, including informal businesses and contributors to the social security system INPS without unemployment benefit;
- Foodassistance to Cabo Verdean families in vulnerable situations;
- Enhanced care for the elderly and dependent persons living in isolation.
This urgent disbursement of budget support reflects European solidarity in this time of crisis and the EU’s commitment to the partnership with Cabo Verde.
For more information:
- Publication date
- 20 April 2020
- Directorate-General for International Partnerships