Digital technologies are essential for ensuring sustainable development. D4D Hub for Latin America and the Caribbean seeks to strengthen coordination among the EU and Latin American and Caribbean digital markets, bring them closer together and enhance the partners’ cooperation on digital issues. It aims to bring in EU digital expertise and technology to the LAC region and foster contacts, partnerships, and investments in the digital economy of Latin America and the Caribbean.
The D4D Hub is in line with the Sustainable Development Goals 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure), 10 (Reduced Inequalities) and 17 (Partnerships for the Goals).
The D4D approach is based on knowledge sharing, advisory services to national and regional institutions and technical assistance to leverage expertise and partnerships with all relevant stakeholders: from governments to the private sector, academia, think tanks and civil society organisations.
This digital cooperation covers various fields, such as digital infrastructures, data protection, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and digital skills. It advances convergence on rules and standards. The private sector is at the heart of this digital cooperation, which helps identifying future opportunities of digital development and mobilising resources
- Multi-Stakeholder Forums
- Regular coordination meetings involving AECID, the Secretariat and European Commission.
- Member States and multi-stakeholders’ engagement:
- Participate and provide Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) region specific inputs to D4D working and advisory groups
- Organise regular LAC Branch plenary meetings
- Raise awareness on the relevance of the LAC region among Member States (MS) to recruit additional ones to the current 12 already participating in the Hub
- Define the action plan in strategic areas (water, health, gender, education) through 10 thematic workshops to be organized in AECID training centres
- Support the development of the Team Europe Initiatives EU-LAC Digital Alliance
- Provide technical support on new regional D4D TEIs bringing together EU MS actions in the region
- Contribute to the development of the LAC GG Investment agenda
Team Europe members
- The Netherlands
- European Commission
- European Investment Bank
- European Space Agency
- University of Chile
- IDB Labs